Wednesday 26 June 2013

Reading #2: Graphic Novels

34 is a pretty unusual age for someone to start getting into comics and graphic novels I admit, and while I've been reading Harvey Pekar and other biographical graphic novels for a few years, it's only this year that I've started to read more traditional superhero tales. All of the books below I bought at Ace Comics in Southend-On-Sea, who are very friendly and welcoming to new customers and are happy to order in anything you're looking for that they don't already have in their large stock.

Civil War (Marvel)
Mark Miller/Steve McNiven, Dexter Vines, Morry Hollowell

Having been a fan of the Iron Man & Avengers Assemble movies in recent years I wanted to read a Marvel book and after a bit of research on the internet I settled on Civil War. The plot is a well worn superhero one of which side of the law superheores fall (as explored in X-Men, Batman, Watchmen etc), in this case costumed crimefighters are required to register and reveal their secret identities. This creates a civil war between those willing to sign up and those unwilling with familiar Marvel faces on both sides (although the Hulk is oddly absent), the principle players are Iron Man & Captain America. While the story is an interesting one I did find the dialogue cliched, but my main problem was with the artwork. I found it too perfect, the colouring was airbrushed, too realistic and high sheen - as someone who draws himself I want to see the mark of the illustrator and it lacked character for me. So my first experience of Marvel left me disappointed and a little put off.
Artwork: 1/5 Story: 3/5

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (DC Comics)
Frank Miller/Klaus Janson, Lynn Varley

Batman is probably the most told crimefighter story in the movie world (7 films to Superman's 6), and with Chris Nolan's darker films in mind I opted for The Dark Knight Returns, written by Sin City author Frank Miller. In this story Batman has retired and Gotham has gone to hell in a handcart, and the release of Harvey Dent from prison prompts a greying Bruce Wayne to take up his cowl once again. But's a different world Batman returns to, mutants rule the underworld, 24 hour news coverage gives him nowhere to hide, Commissioner Gordon is retiring and the new commissioner wants Batman's head on a stick. I really enjoyed this book the story had depth and the artwork was much more interesting - simpler and with more character than Civil War, I'll definitely be reading more of Frank Miller's Batman stories.
Artwork: 4/5 Story: 4/5

Hellboy #1: Seed of Destruction (Dark Horse Books)
Mike Mignola/John Byrne

Although not your average superhero, I'm a big fan of the Guillermo del Toro directed films so Mike Mignola's original books were always on my 'to read' list. Seed of Destruction follows a similar story to the first Hellboy film although the film script is very different - Hellboy is a paranormal investigator, and while investigating the death of his father figure he comes up against Rasputin who needs Hellboy in order to end the world. That's where the similarities with the film end, despite the radical differences I enjoyed the book and look forward to exploring the character more (I've already ordered #2), and I liked the bold block colour artwork alot.
Artwork: 5/5 Story: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment